Thursday, May 14, 2009

Surprise!

So Thursday had been a rough day. I can't even totally remember exactly why, but I just know that it was awfully long, I was awfully tired, awfully stressed trying to make arrangements for my kids over the next week, etc, etc. The kids were having a rough time too. Josiah said on the way home from school "Mom, I want to go see Daddy. He's been gone for so long." Poor guy. I feel his pain! Anyways, I had decided to go to bed early because I was totally exhausted. I heard my cell phone ring at around 8:45 pm, but I was back in my bedroom. It rang a bit later and I heard that it was David's ring, but I was already about done for the night. Then, around 9 pm, there was a knock at my door. Well, there's certainly NO way I'm going to answer the door that time of night when I'm home alone with my kids. It was pitch black outside, porch light off, no way! A few minutes later they knocked again, so I got up to look out the window and see if I recognized someone's car. As I'm looking outside, I think to myself "that sure does look like David's car out there. Who do I know that drives a car like David?" The next thing I know, I hear a key turning and the doorknob opening! I about have a heart attack, but was MUCH relieved to see DAVID coming through the door! I told him it's a good thing I don't have a gun - I probably would have shot him!! I sort of fell into his arms - I was just so relieved to have him home. It's the best word I can think of.

He tried to wake the kids up, but they were all in la la land of course, so we sat down on the couch and just talked. It felt so good. I've missed being able to do that over the last 2 months. Even when we go to visit, we're in a hotel room where kids are sleeping or something. He rubbed my very tired feet and let me just talk his ear off. A little while later, Jacob woke up to go potty, so David was able to say hi to him. He was VERY excited to see the other two kids in the morning and see how they reacted!

These are the flowers David sent me for mother's day - he got to see them at their height of beauty - they've almost all bloomed now and are gorgeous!

4 comments:

Judy said...

So sweet that he surprised you!! I'm thrilled that you guys got to have a little time together!!

anthonyandbeth said...

the flowers are BEAUTIFUL!!! i'm so glad he surprised you! i bet you DID just fall into his arms! :) yeah for all of you! :)

The Stein Family said...

That's funny, and so sweet! It's nice to have him right there when you really needed him! Hope you guys had a great time together.

jenn said...

Too funny! What a great surprise! :) Although I DEFINITELY would have hit him with the baseball bat!!