Friday, August 31, 2007
Gearing up for a long weekend. David's band has a gig every night this weekend through monday night, so I'm not quite looking forward to the long weekend like everyone else is. They are playing at the beach on Sat. & Mon. night, so we'll get to go see him and that will be fun. Can NOT believe that tomorrow is September!!!
Thursday, August 30, 2007
Wednesday, August 29, 2007
But what a GREAT time all of the women from our small group had today. We were missing Natalie, but other than that, everyone was there!!! It was just so nice to be able to all get together and just chat and catch up and have our kids play! The kids, by the way, did AWESOME!!! They had such fun playing together - everything was just so much fun!! I had hopes of having a craft or some activity to do (Heidi - you set the bar so high after our fun Valentine's Day party at your house), but gave up on that and decided just for food, fun and fellowship. I know I enjoyed myself! Ladies - I am so thankful for each of you and what you add to my life! Thanks for your friendship!!!
PS - You'll have to look on everyone else's blog for the pictures, of course. My battery is still dead! :(
Tomorrow, I am looking forward to having some of the moms and their kids over for a lunch and play date - sort of a last hoorah before several of them start their various preschools and school. Looking very forward to that, some yummy food, and great fellowship.
Until then, back to the kitchen and off to get some more things checked off my list. And trying VERY hard not to talk myself out of running in the morning!!!
Monday, August 27, 2007
1. My full first name is just Katy. Not Kathy, not Katherine, just plain Katy. I am constantly being called Kathy, because most people think that's what it should be when they see it spelled with a "y" instead of "ie". Bizarre. And my maiden name was Maxfield, and I was constantly called "Maxwell". Annoying that people can't just say what they see!!!
2. I wear contacts and am practically blind without them. One day I'd love to do the lasik surgery and be done with it, but I may have to win the lottery first. When I first started wearing glasses in 4th grade, I had ugly brown ones (I'm sure I thought they were cute at the time). The next year I had to get new ones and I picked these bright red frames that I loved! My favorite show at the time was "Life Goes On" - does anyone remember that? I thought I looked like Kellie Martin on that show with her red glasses.
3. I didn't lose my first tooth until 5th grade - and then I only lose 2 teeth. The orthodontist/dentist had to pull the rest of them because they were taking forever and it was time for braces!!!
4. By age 19, I had finished my Bachelor's Degree and gotten married!! Crazy, isn't it? I met David my first semester of college (he was there in seminary) at Liberty and knew immediately that he was IT! I called my family and told them and of course they thought I was NUTS! From their perspective, I was 17 years old, away at college for a month and already talking about marriage. I would have a heart attack if Callie did that to me!
5. My oldest sister, Kim, used to pay me to let her do my hair. She LOVED playing with hair, and I was a willing participant!! She did my first perm too (did EVERYONE get a perm in 7th grade?)
6. I often punch the bed/pillows when I am dead asleep. I've done this since I was a child (no hidden trauma, just bizarro!), and warned David about when we got married. It's totally random and I still do it every now and then. David's Master's degree in Psychology has done him no good in figuring this one out. He keeps telling me he's going to send me to a sleep center to be analyzed!!!
7. Although I don't do it as much as I'd LIKE to, I LOVE to read - especially Christian fiction. My favorite author as of late is Karen Kingsbury - amazing books!!! If you've never read any of hers, pick up the Baxter series and you won't be sorry!!
8. For someone that loves food and loves to cook, I'm sort of a picky eater. My mom always tells me I should have been a caterer, but I don't like enough "gourmet"-type foods. I love everything about food - reading about it, watching it, cooking it, even shopping for it - but just have a bit of a texture hang-up about certain things (for example, don't like watermelon! It's practically just water - I know!)
Okay, so that's 8 things. Probably everyone already knew that, but it's all I could come up with today. So now I'm tagging Jayne Hoare, Courtney Cassada, and Jenn Gorrie! You're it!!
No pictures yet though - something weird is up with our camera battery, so they want me to send it in for them to fix. No pictures for a while.....booo!!!
David's first day of school today - welcome back kids!
Ran 3 miles again this morning (nothing compared to your 6 Courtney, I still can't believe you girl!). Felt really good - wondered if it was a fluke or if I'd ever be able to do it again, so I was glad to be successful. (Sorry to keep telling all of you about this, but it's sort of forced accountability).
Other than all that randomness, just doing errands today, laundry, boys got haircuts, etc. Off to rescue Callie - she's in the johnny jumpup and was a trooper while I was on the phone with my buddy at Microsoft!
Thursday, August 23, 2007
I finally feel like we're getting back into our normal routine. Jacob asks where David is about 10 times a day - we get very used to have him home more with us during the summer, and Jacob is having a hard time adjusting to him being back at work. Other than that, we're getting back into our routine. Storytime and biblestudy starts back up in 2 weeks, which we're VERY excited about. So another successful morning! :)
So some big milestones for me with my workouts this week! When I got the Y yesterday, I had a message from my trainer saying how proud he was of me for being so consistent these last 8 weeks, meeting my cardio goals and strength training goals, etc, etc. Then there was another message saying that I had lifted over 300,000 lbs to date - which is the equivalent of 38 elephants!! Isn't that hilarious!!!
Then today I finally got past the 3 mile mark!! I got really close on Monday and have been pushing towards it all week. Today I finally made it - I was so proud I thought I was going to scream out loud!! I did 3.17 to be exact!! I think I'm actually going to look at doing a 5K soon. Who'd have thunk it? Thanks Kelli, for not giving up on me. I think I'm actually almost a runner now! :)
Monday, August 20, 2007
Thursday, August 16, 2007
Tuesday, August 14, 2007
Monday, August 13, 2007
This was the boys running over to meet Tutu when they saw her at the entrance.
Tutu, Josiah, David, and Jacob in the teacups!!
What a great ending to a great day! Callie fell asleep in Tutu's arms while we watched the "Kinetix" light and "extreme athleticism" show. Very cool - some neat acrobatics, lights, rock band, trampoline guys, jugglers - it was amazing!
Saturday night was our last softball game of the season. The fun had to come to an end eventually!! Our men did great, the kids had a blast playing in the dirt each week, and we ladies enjoyed catching up a bit as well (in between cheering for the husbands and keeping tabs on the kids of course).
Wednesday, August 8, 2007
Okay, on to Jacob today. Both boys needed naps today, so I put Josiah in his bed and put Jacob in my room. Thought he would conk right out, and Callie was down for her nap, so I told David what was happening and went off to the gym for my workout. I didn't want to go to the gym and have to leave Callie in childcare with her having shots today. Anyways, I came home and went into my room to take a shower and discovered Jacob! He was standing on the toilet seat in our bathroom, painting his face with my mascara!!! (It gets worse). I looked on my bed (where he was supposed to be sleeping) and find David's and my glasses (mine were mangled) and with some kind of substance on it. At first I thought it was Aloe Vera, because that was on the counter in my bathroom. I take Jacob straight to the bathtub and as I'm trying to get him clean, David comes back in says "It's not Aloe - it's WAY too sticky". So I ask Jacob what he got into and he says "Glue!" Sure enough, he found the Gorilla Glue somewhere in our room and had it all over our glasses, his hands and feet. Thankfully, he didn't swallow any or get any in his hair or eyes. What a mess!! David LOVED his glasses and has only had them about a year (I needed new ones anyways), but neither of us were very happy! And of course he didn't take a nap.
We headed to the pool later (Jacob slept during the 7 minute care ride!) and enjoyed a brief break from the heat. Jacob's already asleep and Josiah is on his way! What a day!!!
So this is what I found when I went to check on the boys before going to bed last night!! I was pulling the covers up over Jacob and then stood up to check on Josiah when I found this!!! He had (for some reason) moved over to the side of his bunk bed and fallen asleep like that - with his head smashed up against the rails!! It was the funniest thing! I wonder if he was dreaming and wanted to look out of his bed for something?
Sunday, August 5, 2007
Here's what was going to be dinner for the boys...
Do they look excited or what?
Mixing in our freshly, picked-by-hand strawberries!
Stirring it all up....
Yahoo - the finished project!!! (Right after this picture, Josiah declared he wanted a lick and stuck his tongue right in the bowl!)
So when David has an idea in his head, there is no stopping him!! Even with obstacles that come in his way, he sticks with it!! Today was a great example of that. He told me this afternoon that, after nap time, he wanted to make some homemade ice cream with the boys. We have several bags of strawberries in our freezer from when we went picking in the spring, so he was in the mood for some strawberry ice cream. The adventure began with him setting out for the store with the boys to get a few ingredients - we needed some more rock salt and some whipping cream. He came home with the rock salt and 2 of the biggest tubs of Cool Whip I've ever seen!!! I told him that "whipping cream" is NOT the same as "whipped cream". Poor guy!! He said "You should have told me before I left! Most women assume their husbands are idiots and would spell that out for them! Not me - I assume he knows what he's doing and most of the time, he does! Anyways, I told him I'd run up and return the Cool Whip and get the whipping cream while he started everything else. I threw a frozen pizza in the oven before I left and off I go. When I came home, he started on the rest of the recipe and I asked him where the pizza was. He gave me this blank stare and I opened the oven door and found it - the blackest pizza I've ever seen!! I asked him if he heard the timer (which he did, because he turned it off) and he said he thought it was just the oven finishing preheating. Hilarious! Anyways, the boys finished their ice cream project (the ice cream maker is a lot LOUDER than I remember) and the end result is delicious!!!! The boys were thrilled to get to stay up a bit later than normal to taste their creation!!! Talk about entertainment for the evening! :)