Saturday, May 9, 2009

Snakes, Turtles, and Frogs - Oh My!

We just got home from spending the morning (and part of the afternoon, I guess) hiking at a state park about 30 minutes away. We had a GREAT time. We had talked about going to the beach, but it was cloudy and I didn't know if the sand would be all wet from the torrential downpours we've had all week. So we decided to go hiking instead. The boys always love it, and there was one really LONG trail that we'd never done before, so that was our mission.

I was right - the boys DID love it as always. They loved watching for the markings all along the trail to make sure we were still ON the trail. They loved finding their way around the puddles and swampy areas. They loved all the little critters and creatures along the way (well, Jacob loved this part more than Josiah did). Not more than 3 minutes into our hike, a snake slithered right across the path. YUCK!!! We also saw lizards, frogs, a deer run across the path (!), and a baby turtle - this was the favorite. Jacob REALLY wanted to bring him home (probably a good thing David wasn't with us - he probably would have let him!) Callie loved the turtle. The rest of it - she was totally freaked out! She was totally scared of walking in the woods the whole time - I had to carry her, and she was CLINGING to me! It was funny (and AWFULLY hard at the same time). We finally made it to the end and came out to the lake where we had our picnic lunch. We took a short, direct path back to the front of the park and called it a day.

I think the boys talked nonstop. And I do mean nonstop. I love hearing their conversations. Josiah asked lots of questions about toxic waste and quicksand....don't know why. Their other main conversation was all about God and different abilities that He has, what heaven will be like, how God made so many different things, different stories in the Bible. I loved it.

I know it will be an early bedtime tonight. Callie is napping, and then I've got to check for ticks! :)

2 comments:

The Stein Family said...

THat was the first thing I thought when I read of your hike...tick check. Good luck, I hate those little things!

anthonyandbeth said...

how fun! is this what i'm to expect from Addison next? :) love all the questions and topics discussed! :)