Thursday, May 7, 2009

Laundry Detergent Recipe

A few of you have asked about the "recipe" that I've been using for my homemade laundry detergent. I got it from my friend Courtney. Since she has 4 kids too, I knew I could trust her that it really did clean clothes! :) I've been using it for the last 6 months and it works great. It is SO much cheaper than even the cheaper brands, with coupons, from wholesale clubs! Very simple:

1 cup of Borax
1 cup of Washing Soda (Arm & Hammer makes it, but it's not BAKING soda)
1 bar of Ivory Soap, grated up

You use 2 tbsp. per load. The only tricky thing was finding the washing soda. My Wal-mart and Target didn't carry it, but the grocery store did. It and the Borax is with all the other laundry stuff in the aisle, and they're less than $3 a box. I usually triple the recipe and keep it in a big tupperware container. Happy washing!

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Katy...you so insire me....I am impressed with this one big time....now I just have to give up the tide smell I love so much.

Tiffany said...

ok, one more question can you use this with the High Effic. washers? Do you use fabric softner? just curious.

Heather J said...

thanks.... I'll give it a whirl!

Unknown said...

This is great. I am going to try it!

Sheila said...

I just have to comment. I found this recipe about a month ago and LOVE it! It works just as good as anything else! When I found this recipe, i ran across something for "homemade dryer sheets." But, I am unable to locate it now. I SO wanted to try it!
Cute blog! :)