Saturday, May 16, 2009

Down She Goes

Remember how I said that when David came home, everything was rosy again and things came back to life? Well, the opposite is true too! He left, and everything fell apart! The heavens opened up and it became this afternoon of rain, rain, and more rain - with some thunderstorms thrown in. Yuck.

We had a birthday party later that afternoon, so we had to stop at Target to pick up a gift before heading there. (Of course I had planned to do that earlier, but dropped ALL plans when David arrived!) So the kids and I are walking through the parking lot of Target...in the rain...and in my flip flops. Anyone care to take a guess what happens next? Yep, you guessed it. Pregnant woman, carrying baby, goes down. Good grief. i would have really loved to just start crying and go back home. But I pulled it together, got the gift, and drove to the party. I discovered, once I was back in the van, that I had scraped up my left knee, and ripped a hole in my capris And my right foot felt messed up somehow. Other than that, we were okay. Callie never touched the ground. The boys were oblivious (as was apparently everyone else in the parking lot because no one rushed to my rescue!)

I was fine for the first hour of the party. Limping slightly, but okay. Then I found a recliner to sit in, and when I stood back up an hour later, I couldn't put any weight on my foot. It was killing me! They had to help me out to my car with the kids. It only got worse. I got everyone home and Callie in bed, and then laid down on the couch to put my foot up with ice. I finally called David in tears at about 8:30 pm. It hurt so bad, and I couldn't walk on it at all. Just imagine what it looks like to see a 7 month pregnant woman HOPPING around her house on one leg. It's rough! I was really starting to panic. He gave the boys a real talking to on the phone about how they were going to have to help me and get themselves in their jammies and in bed. They were very sweet about it too. I kept it elevated and iced all night long, and then went to bed praying that it would feel better in the morning. We have movers coming this weekend - I don't have time for this stuff!!

8 comments:

Judy said...

Oh Katy, I'm so glad it wasn't any worse! I slipped last week in flip flops in the rain. Not a good combination apparently. I'm so thankful that Callie and #4 weren't hurt and I'm so sorry about your foot! Keep resting it as much as you can! Sprains can take forever to heal :( so I'll be praying it's heals quickly!!

Tiffany said...

Oh my goodness Katy, I am glad you are ok....if it makes you feel any better I fall everytime I am pregnant and in third trimester, so I fell your pain. I wish we were there to come help you. Love ya

anthonyandbeth said...

ugh! this just kills me! the thought of you limping around with a baby inside of you and taking care of three little ones on your own! i wish i was there to take the kids and let you have a REAL day of rest! :( glad it's doing better though. i guess you wanted to be like me so we could have matching boo boo knees! :)

Courtney said...

ahhh!! oh no! why don't you start wearing tennis shoes, ok?

Heather J said...

Just soooo glad that you & little man are OK - be careful!!!!!

Mandy said...

Oh my, Katy! I'm so sorry about your fall, glad that Callie and the baby are okay, but so sorry that you have to deal with an injury on top of everything else! I do hope it is on the mend. Let me know if you need anything. I have crutches (you know my history with ankle sprains) that you could borrow if it is still hard to get around on it. Ugh, if there is anything I can sympathize with, it is ankle sprains! I'll be praying for a quick healing!

The Stein Family said...

I did the same thing when I was pregnant with Jonathan, carrying Clara, tripped over a cement parking spot thingy (I'm sure they have a real name). Clara never hit the ground either, but I was sure embarassed, I didn't even have the rain to blame it on! Be Careful, take it easy, and stay off that foot!

dandsratz said...

Oh Katy!!!! I'm so thankful that you & baby are alright....that is so scary!!! BE CAREFUL!!!!!