Friday, May 1, 2009

First Pickin' of the Season

You all know what a freak show I am about our family traditions. Well, one of the things I was most bummed about was the fact that David was going to miss out on one of our favorite springtime traditions - strawberry picking! But on our last trip down to SC, I noticed a billboard for a farm that had pick-your-own berries, so we gave them a call when we got down for this trip. Friday morning, we headed out and were lucky enough to be there on their "opening picking day"! It was a GREAT farm - the weather was beautiful, and the berries were plentiful. I told the lady there that we go picking every year and have for the last 6 or 7 years - and that their farm was by far, the BEST one we'd seen! I was able to clean and slice some berries for David and put a couple bags in his freezer for smoothies. We even took a bucket home for ourselves in VA since they were SO good!!!

Callie was a good helper...at first. Then she figured out that she could EAT these things she was picking...and that was the end of her helpfulness!

"hmmm...wonder if this tastes as good as it looks? It does!"

Then Jacob decided he ought to sample his pickings too.....(the man across the aisle said to me "i think they are probably sprayed with pesticides you know" yeah, well....)

David was sporting his "superman" shirt that we sent him for his birthday...I forgot to tell him he had to wear RED for our annual family picture at the strawberry fields!

I have these boys trained so well - they really are GOOD pickers!

Her hair is finally growing!!! I'm so happy!


Can you see how many half-eaten berries are in her bucket? it was hilarious!


Jacob showing off his "perfect" strawberry!

I don't know why it looks like "boys on one side, girls on one side". Probably because I knelt down to pick something or someone up and then couldn't stand back up!!!

Couldn't even wait to get back home to eat another one!


2 comments:

The Stein Family said...

Love Callie's strawberry face! jonathan is the same way about berries...esp. Blueberries!

anthonyandbeth said...

so glad y'all didn't have to miss out on the tradition! :)