Friday, October 30, 2009

Granddad Keith

On Friday morning, we got the call that my grandfather (my Mom's dad) passed away. He had been in the hospital for the last two weeks after a fall that he had suffered. Granddad Keith had always been in great health, and was sharp as a tack! We knew that this last hospitalization was really taking it's toll on him. He had broken his arm in the fall and fractured his skull, but also developed pneumonia and the doctors discovered some blood clots in his lungs. He died peacefully with some of his family around him, and after having some wonderful time talking with them.

Granddad Keith was an amazing man of God. He had served in ministry for more than 50 years, and left quite a legacy. He was an amazing musician - wonderful voice and great on the piano. He instilled this love of music in my Mom, who is an incredible pianist, and she passed this love of music along to my sisters and I.

One of my favorite memories of Granddad Keith was his freezer!!! He had a second freezer in the spare room at his house and it was full of ice cream! LITERALLY!! He lived through the Great Depression and through all of the rationing. He said that if he made it through that, he would never go without ice cream again. And so I remember as a child opening his freezer and seeing 10 or 15 half gallons of ice cream in there!! :) What a joyful spirit He was!!

I also remember him getting along so well with David's dad when they met at our wedding. Both men were ministers, and LOVED people. Loving talking with anyone and everyone! Two peas in a pod! I know they are enjoying each other's company up in heaven now! :)

My sisters and I are all flying out to California this week to be with my Mom and be at the funeral on Saturday. Please pray for safe travels for all of us (we are all flying on Weds. and Thurs.). We look forward to celebrating his life and enjoying the memories we will share together as we remember him.

This is a copy of an email that my Mom sent out. I thought she said things very well.

On Friday, in God’s perfect timing, my 84 year old father went peacefully to his heavenly home. I would appreciate your prayers as I travel Wednesday to Long Beach, CA for his memorial service on Saturday. My 4 daughters will join me there.

My dad led a full life with over 50 years in full time ministry, then part time as a Minister of Music and Christian Education. Dad served on the board of Gospel Light Publishing for a time & had the privilege of serving with some wonderful senior pastors, including John MacArthur’s dad, Dr Jack with “Johnnie” serving as dad’s youth pastor. I have so many memories of meeting heroes of our faith in our home or at church.

He never stopped serving and encouraging other pastors, up to 2 weeks ago when he was hospitalized. He read Immanuel’s bulletin every week and prayed for all of you here in ministry.

I shall miss our talks about church news in California and here. I shall miss my first piano teacher, my dad.

But I’m also so very thankful he is breathing celestial air with no pain. No more choir rehearsals, only awesome concerts of praise! Thank you for your prayers and support

7 comments:

Courtney said...

oh, katy.
i didn't even know he was in the hospital!

what a beautiful email by your mom.

i'll definitely be praying for safe travels..and for your families as you all leave them...and for your time there!

Heather J said...

What an amazing legacy your grandfather is leaving behind. How comforting to know exactly where he is and to know that one day you'll be reunited!!!! Blessings and prayers for you this week while you travel!!!!

Judy said...

I'm so glad that you and your sisters will all be able to be there with your mom! I'm sure it will be a great time of rejoicing as you celebrate Granddad Keith's life and the fact that he is now with Jesus. I love how your mom said that he's now enjoying "awesome concerts of praise." We can only imagine what he's experiencing now!

anthonyandbeth said...

i'll be praying for all of you as you travel and that this will be sweet time with your sisters and mom as you remember your grandfather. what a legacy he leaves and what a blessing to know he is finally at home now, with the Lord and Savior he served so faithfully all these years! what a testimony!

sandi said...

Praying for you guys as you travel to be with your mom.

jenn said...

i'm so sorry!

how nice that you will all be able to be together! praying for safe travels.

ps. my grandparents have a never-ending supply of ice cream in their freezer too! :)

The Stein Family said...

Praying for you and your family.