Friday, April 9, 2010

Waterfalls!

After a great lunch of chili and mac&cheese, we got into the car and drove about 20 minutes across the border into North Carolina to see some wonderful waterfalls. We were looking for Bridal Veil Falls, but because of some road closures due to debris, we had to alter our plans. We went to the next closest state park to see Hooker Falls (ironic isn't it? Couldn't find Bridal Veil Falls, so went to Hooker Falls instead!). It was great - we were able to park and hike to see 3 different falls! First, we hiked about 1/2 a mile to see Hooker Falls...
Josiah was pretty excited about all of this. He wanted me to take pictures of all 3 falls (like I wouldn't anyways) so he could decided which was his favorite.
We even got to see some kayakers come over the falls!!! That's one sport DEFINITELY not for me! The kids (& David) were enthralled!

Josiah wanted me to take this picture of the "smooth" water


Next we hiked about 1.5 miles to see Triple Falls - see the 3 waterfalls? Very cool!
I do believe she's posing!

This is much of what I saw on our hiking adventures. David and the boys way up in front of Callie and I....waiting on us. They were very patient! :)
And then we hiked another 1/2 mile (up the rest of the tall mountain) to see High Falls! It was amazing!!!
Another view of High Falls.
Can you see David and the kids down there? Caleb, Callie and I stayed up top and David took the older boys down to climb on the rocks in the water.

We were able to find a safer climb about halfway down. Then I sat with Caleb on my back and David came to get Callie. She didn't want to be left out of course!

Caleb had been on David's back all day, so he thought it was pretty funny to now be on my back. He kept pulling my ponytail around so he could see my face...and then he'd just laugh and laugh!
There was definitely a moment when my heart was in my throat. David was CROSSING the water with all 3 of those sweet kids, and I thought I was going to have a heart attack! But they made it safely and just absolutely LOVED it!!!

Waving to Mommy - David probably said "wave to mommy and show her that you are okay!"


It was a great afternoon of hiking and exploring!! We were thrilled to get to see all those waterfalls - and so close!! What fun!

2 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

now THAT looks like so much fun! with as much as our kids love the 'woods' wouldn't it be fun to have them all together exploring like that! did Josiah decide on a favorite?? :) i'm guessing high falls!

Courtney said...

wow! awesome pictures! and they are having so much FUN!!