Sunday, August 5, 2007

Homemade Strawberry Ice Cream!!!



Here's what was going to be dinner for the boys...


Do they look excited or what?


Mixing in our freshly, picked-by-hand strawberries!


Stirring it all up....


Yahoo - the finished project!!! (Right after this picture, Josiah declared he wanted a lick and stuck his tongue right in the bowl!)


So when David has an idea in his head, there is no stopping him!! Even with obstacles that come in his way, he sticks with it!! Today was a great example of that. He told me this afternoon that, after nap time, he wanted to make some homemade ice cream with the boys. We have several bags of strawberries in our freezer from when we went picking in the spring, so he was in the mood for some strawberry ice cream. The adventure began with him setting out for the store with the boys to get a few ingredients - we needed some more rock salt and some whipping cream. He came home with the rock salt and 2 of the biggest tubs of Cool Whip I've ever seen!!! I told him that "whipping cream" is NOT the same as "whipped cream". Poor guy!! He said "You should have told me before I left! Most women assume their husbands are idiots and would spell that out for them! Not me - I assume he knows what he's doing and most of the time, he does! Anyways, I told him I'd run up and return the Cool Whip and get the whipping cream while he started everything else. I threw a frozen pizza in the oven before I left and off I go. When I came home, he started on the rest of the recipe and I asked him where the pizza was. He gave me this blank stare and I opened the oven door and found it - the blackest pizza I've ever seen!! I asked him if he heard the timer (which he did, because he turned it off) and he said he thought it was just the oven finishing preheating. Hilarious! Anyways, the boys finished their ice cream project (the ice cream maker is a lot LOUDER than I remember) and the end result is delicious!!!! The boys were thrilled to get to stay up a bit later than normal to taste their creation!!! Talk about entertainment for the evening! :)

9 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

This is the most hilarious story! I could see Anthony doing the same exact thing with the pizza in the oven! So funny! What a great Dad to think up something so fun to do with his boys! I'm sure it made a great memory...even the burnt pizza! ..and they even got to watch AFV...they really DID have a GREAT night!!! So what did you eat for dinner? Enjoy the ice cream...sounds delicious!

Jayne said...

So after I finished reading I wondered if strawberry ice cream became dinner for the night too!?

Courtney said...

i'm glad you told us what that first picture was! i couldn't figure it out! what a fun night!

dandsratz said...

What a fun night ya'll had, for sure!!

Unknown said...

LOOKS YUMMY! And lots of fun!!

Heather J said...

You sound more gracious then I would have been at a 'burnt' dinner! I'm sure the boys didn't mind their 'ice cream dinner'!

Heidi said...

You are a hoot showing off that burnt pizza. At least you didn't leave the cardboard on like I've done before. Craig will get a kick out of telling that story!! Good thing the icecream was a hit. Looks super yummy!!!

anthonyandbeth said...

so you're calling me a blog-harraser now! :) I know, I can run but I can't hide! I just can't help myself!!!

Natalie said...

Too funny. What fun this must have been, and what a great thing to do as a family. I love it!!!!