Saturday, March 14, 2009

Update on Mom

We are back home - hooray! We got home late last night (Friday night). Things were crazy on Wednesday when it was determined that I'd be leaving and taking the little ones with me. I was able to leave a bit earlier than planned (was on the road by 4 pm), and was hoping to get to mom's around 7:30 pm or so. Well, that plan was derailed when I was stuck in traffic for 3 HOURS because of a tractor trailer that was on fire! Seriously! It took 3 hours to go 9 miles. it was unreal. The kids were troopers - Jacob was amazing, and Callie MOSTLY held in together. But I was about to lose it! We ended up getting to Mom's around 10:30 pm that night. So much for getting to bed early!!

Mom's surgery went well on Thursday. It took 2.5 hours - longer than expected, because it was more "crushed" than they anticipated, but she did well. She was in recovery longer than normal too - the anesthesia worked her over a bit. That's always the worst part, I think. She was in a good bit of pain too from the 2 plates they put in. She was a trooper though, and once we got home that night, she started to perk up a bit. I was SO thankful that my kids did well. Mom had arranged a lady to come and watch them for me so I could be with Mom at the hospital all day. So they woke up to a strange lady there. And then because everything took longer than planned, baby sitter #2 had to come later that afternoon to relieve the first sitter - but the kids did fine. What a blessing - I know it was God. Mom did well that night - I got her up every 4 hours to help go to the bathroom, eat a little something, drink something, take her medicine, etc.

On Friday, she was like a new person! Pain finally under control, no nausea, etc. We spent most of the day up in her bed with her - Jacob watched Animal Planet with her and would bring her ginger ale or her medicine. Callie loved the cuddle time too!

I was glad that she was doing so much better when I left her last night. Thanks for your prayers!


Jayne said...

What a trip! Hopefully you had a CD player so the kids could at least watch a movie. That has been our only saving grace on the road for those long trips. I know your mom was so glad to have you there. Welcome back home for a while!!

The Stein Family said...

Glad to hear it all turned out well in the end and that your mom is doing well. I bet it's good to be home for a while :)

dandsratz said...

Good Grief...what a long trip!! I'm thankful to read your mom's arm is on the mend though!! And hopefully you've had a relaxing weekend!! We saw David at church today, but no Katy!!

Judy said...

I'm so glad the surgery went well and so sorry the trip up there was so terribly long! Traffic heading North on 95 can be terrible sometimes!
I'm so proud of Jacob and Callie for doing so well with two babysitters. I'm sure that was a little strange for them (and you) but it sounds like they're growing up!
I sure hope you're taking the day off! You need it!

Heather J said...

Glad your mom is recovering well. I can only imagine the state of mind I would have had with that frustrating traffic issue!! Hopefully the snacks and DVDs held out for you!!