Saturday, May 15, 2010

One FULL Saturday

I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since I've blogged! Well, I can because I've LIVED the last two weeks and know all that transpired, but still! David went to bed early tonight from his "Lost" hangover (that finale last night was about 8 hours long from what I hear), so I'm trying to catch up a little bit. Here goes!


Okay, so last Saturday was one of those days that makes your head spin. SEVERAL things on the calendar. All FUN things. Things we were ALL looking forward to, but just a lot of moving parts. Lots of room for error. Lots of making arrangements for. Lots of checking and rechecking the list.

7:00 AM - Everybody's up! I think I ran and did my shred first, but the kids were up by 7 am. Finished nursing Caleb and put him down to play while I got breakfast finished for the rest of the crew.
These are Caleb's favorite toys these days. He chases these balls around the house all day long. Most of the time has the bat in his hand too. It's pretty cute!


(Don't pay any attention to the chocolate milk spilled all down the front of Callie's shirt. Where is her mother?)
Callie found our Titans' pom poms and declared that she needed them to be a cheerleader at the boys' games that morning. We told her to say "Go Upward", except it was coming out as "Go F-Word". Hilarious. (Side note of explanation: we went through a phase for a while where, thanks to her brothers, Callie would start chanting "f-word! f-word!" for a reaction. No we do not swear in our family. The boys had overheard someone say "fart" and referred to it later as "the f-word" because we don't say that in our family. Well, Callie picked up on it and starting say "f-word" to a get a reaction out of me. And she did - I was so embarrassed! I don't even want to know what people were thinking!)
9:00 am - Jacob's last soccer game! He LOVED playing this season - really went after it and had so much fun every practice, every game. I was really proud of him - proud of how he continued to grow and make strides. It was HOT out there most of the time - even though practice was at 6 pm, it was still HOT. Games were always HOT - but he went 100% all the time and smiled bigger than everyone!
We always try to videotape one game from each season, so David was taping while I snapped a few pictures and kept tabs on Caleb and Callie....
(David confessed to me later that he forgot to switch tapes in the camcorder, so the games got recorded on "Caleb's 1st Year tape." Sigh.
He decided to wear his new sunglasses for the game. Not sure if it was because he needed shielding for the sun, or because he liked the comments he got. Probably the latter. :)

Go Jacob! See how he's the only white jersey around the ball? Way to go!

Doing a little fist pump to celebrate a teammate's goal! :) (David told him to run after the ball and he said he had to defend this side of the field! :) )

I think that's Josiah underneath Callie. Boy can she be a bit suffocating at times!

9:55 am - Game completed (victory!) and heading towards the celebratory tunnel and snacks!
Listening to Coach Brian as he handed out the sportsmanship stars...

10:05 am - Over at the next field to watch (yea right....more on that later) Josiah's last game. David helped coach his team, so he was no longer helping me and instead was out on the field. This is where things started to unravel for me.
Of course this is Caleb's naptime. Of course he doesn't just lay back in the stroller and take a nap. Of course this is when Callie declares she HAS to go potty - at the port-o-potty. Of course Jacob is hot and sweaty and tired and does not want to sit and nicely cheer his brother on. Of course Callie can't keep her hands to herself. Of course the sun REALLY is beating down on us and I can't seem to keep us (mainly Caleb) shaded.
I wanted to cry. I felt so badly that Josiah got jipped. I missed taping a GOOD bit of his game because I was either in the port-o-potty with Callie or trying to get a crying baby to settle and go to sleep. Of course Josiah doesn't really know any of this, but I wanted to just throw everything down and cry. Moving on.
Can you see Josiah's face - beaming - at David? And yes, there's Jacob Callie right at David's side. (and with as annoyed as I was, I was happy to have them there!)
Josiah really did great this season. It had been a few years since he had played soccer, and he had really improved. He was very aggressive in the games and really went all out for it. It is so fun to see him growing in confidence and really coming out of his shell and into his own!

11:10 am - Macy's first birthday party! Macy's mom, Emily, is David's assistant at work, and Macy and Caleb are just a few months apart. We were excited to get to celebrate with them.
(Of course, since Caleb did NOT sleep at the games, he slept for the 15 minute drive to the party. Which meant that when we arrived and I fed him at the party, he was awake and ready to go! Sigh. It's now WAY past his naptime....but he was all smiles! I was more worked up about it than he was!)

Caleb and Macy are always like this at the nursery - not too farm from each other, playing with the same things - they are so cute!
Caleb LOVED this little ball pit they had set up! He was in heaven!

And THEN he noticed their dog!! He LOVED him - was totally transfixed and not freaked out in the least!
Here's the moment - the birthday cake!!!

She wasn't really quite sure what to make of it. It is always so funny watching these first birthdays. Unlike my sweet nephew Joseph, most babies seem so wierded out by the whole thing and hardly eat any cake! It's so funny to me!
1:15 pm - Leave Macy's party, run home REALLY quick to grab a change of shoes for the boys. (If their mom only had it together, she would have remembered this in the morning...)
1:45 pm - Head to karate studio to drop off Josiah and Jacob at another birthday party. To say they were excited would be an understatement. They have been asking about karate for YEARS. They got to go to a birthday party for a buddy from church who takes karate and they were thrilled. The crazy thing is that this family takes karate from the guy that we met CAMPING last month!! (I did mention him right? Across from our campsite was another family from our city...and he's a Christian and owns his own karate studio!) David was really bummed not to be able to stay and watch, but we had a dress rehearsal to get to....
2:30 pm - After Caleb and Callie slept for the 25 minutes we were in the car driving to church, we arrived to get ready for our dress rehearsal for the Worship Concert. I nursed Caleb and prayed he would stay asleep afterwards. He didn't of course. He was ready to play. Sigh. I told the girls who were doing childcare for the choir that he was so messed up from the day that I didn't even know what to tell them. Didn't know if he should eat, play, sleep or what. Poor kid didn't know which way was up! But they held him and loved on him and said he was just fine.
3:00 pm - Dress rehearsal starts. Finally. My heart gets a break from all the madness. Gets to really bathe in the music and drink in the worship. Just me and God (and the other 50 musicians, but they were having their own private worship concert too). Just what I needed. Aaahhh. I know I've said how much I love this music, but I do!
4:30 pm - Josiah and Jacob are dropped off at the church by another dad whose kids were at the party too. Thank heavens for friends! They sat down while we finished rehearsing. Jacob looked like he had just woken up (I'd be willing to bet that he fell asleep in the car after the party...)....
5:15 pm - Dress rehearsal finished. We are excited for the concert tomorrow night. God has done some amazing things just in OUR lives as musicians as we've taken part in this. We KNOW He's going to use this to really move in people's hearts. These songs are straight Scripture - THAT'S why they are so powerful - The Bible says that His Word does NOT return void. When you are singing lyrics about orphans fulfilling their calling and Satan's lies bowing to the truth, you can't HELP but get stirred up!!!!
6:00 pm - David's got his stuff squared away and we are ready to head home. Man. We are ALL tired. Hungry. Exhausted. Sweaty and dirty (some of us). LONG day!! And Sundays aren't cake walks for us - plus we have a concert tomorrow night! :)
7:30 pm - Everyone fed and in bed. Whew. I am DONE!

4 comments:

sandi said...

you and shoes... i seem to recall two boys being dropped off at my house at 1:00 (in the morning) before callie was born ~ when it was time for them to go to the hospital to meet their new sister one of the boys had to wear girl flip flops because the mommy forgot to pack shoes.

Handmade by Kiki said...

Wow! I feel like I need to take a nap after reading that! What a day!

Courtney said...

wow!
i'm impressed you can remember all that 2 weeks later! :)

sandi said...

oh, i remembered another schrodt f-word story... shortly after josiah learned to say fire truck we taught sam to say fire engine... somewhere in the back of my brain a first birthday party conversation took place regarding that combo of words... funny how some things just pop into your head after YEARS of being buried!