Tuesday, February 23, 2010

How could I have forgotten THIS one???

It just dawned on me that I somehow forgot to post about our experience at Denny's a few weeks back! I can't believe it - remember how Denny's was giving away free grand slams to everyone? I think it was 2 weeks ago - I am pretty sure it was on a Tuesday. Anyways, I told David to meet the kids and I there for lunch - I knew we couldn't do breakfast and get Josiah to school ontime, but we could certainly handle lunch time (the promotion only ran until 2 pm).

Well, I pulled into the parking lot and saw people LINED up outside. I called David and told him not to bail on me, but that there was a line outside of the building. It didn't deter me - it perturbed David a bit, but that's okay. We had just been to the library and so we brought a few books for the kids to read while we waited. The news crew was there doing a story on it, and the lady came over and was talking to several of us to see if anyone was willing to be interviewed. Of COURSE I was willing! David, of course, was pretty embarrassed and just rolled his eyes at me and my crazy thrify ways. I mentioned to the reporter that back in the day, they used to do a free meal on your birthday, so on my 13th birthday (I think it was 13), I went to 3 different Denny's and had a free breakfast, lunch, and dinner! She thought that was hilarious, and so came straight to me when they went live on TV!!! When the lady asked David why he came out, his comment was something like "my wife dragged me out here". Hilarious. The camera man told me "I don't know if I'd be willing to stand in line in the cold for a free meal, but I can see how it would be worth it for 5 free meals!"

Even better, we only had to wait in line for about 15 minutes before they called us in. David ordered a sprite (the rest of us got water) because he felt bad that they weren't going to make ANY money off of us. I just laughed. It was delicious and quite fun! I was lucky too - they even let me get a meal for Caleb (not that he could eat any...) so I took it home for Josiah (since he had to miss out on all the fun). 2 pancakes, 2 eggs, 2 slices of bacon, and 2 sausage links...for ALL of us!! Talk about a GREAT freebie!

2 comments:

anthonyandbeth said...

i'm glad you finally told the story. i had forgotten to ask for more details. :)

Annelise & Ethan said...

Ethan and I went to the Denny's off Newtown. It was crazy busy and we were able to get a raincheck.

That's cool you got interviewed :0)