Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Psalm 126:5-6

Psalm 126:5-6

Those who sow in tears WILL reap with shouts of joy. Though one goes along weeping, carrying the bag of seed, he WILL SURELY come back with shouts of joy carrying his sheaves.

(If ya'll would just DO this study with me, I wouldn't have to blog about it all the time! :) )

I had to miss biblestudy this morning because of the sick boys, so I decided to post one of my favorite parts from my homework this week instead. We were concluding our study of this chapter (Psalm 126) and Beth Moore shared about visiting Angola and bringing food and aid to the starving children there. She said that her guide stated that "One of the most frustrating things is that in villages where they receive seed, they often eat the seed rather than planting it and bringing forth the harvest." Here's what she said about that:

Why have many of us heard hundreds of messages on freedom, done every line of Biblestudies like Breaking Free, wept over them, been blessed by them, and even memorized parts of them, yet remain in captivity? Because we ate the seed instead of sowing it. Why have many of us read books on forgiving people, known the teachings were true and right, cried over them, marked them up with our highlighters, yet remain in our bitterness? Because we ate the seed instead of sowing it. Why have we repeatedly heard how Christ has forgiven our sinful pasts and sobbed with gratitude over the grace of it, yet we remain in bondage to condemnation? Because we ate the seed instead of sowing it. Sometimes we think we accepted the teaching because we were so moved by it. But you see, the seed of God's Word can fill our stomachs and give us immediate satisfaction and still not produce a harvest - that's when we eat it but don't sow it. Many times we apply biblical truth to our theologies without applying it to the actual practicalities of life."

Okay, that's all for now, but it was a great week of study! I'm SO bummed that I didn't get to go this morning to share with my group and here their wisdom too. Oh well - now it's posted for the rest of you to read and enjoy! (Maybe enjoy isn't the right word...)

6 comments:

Courtney said...

wow...that's really good

Natalie said...

Thanks for sharing...I love posts like these that make me really look hard at my faith. I wish I could do this study with you...maybe one day:)

Jen said...

I was bummed to miss it this morning too, although I was floating in the wave pool at that time. I felt like this week's was so full of meat that I'm still chewing!!! Hope those kiddos are feeling better and the bug doesn't bite you other 3.

anthonyandbeth said...

thanks katy!

the mccollums... said...

great words, katy. I loved the "eating of words instead of sowing"...good lesson to learn again, and again and again. :)

How are the boys doing today??

Heidi said...

Definitely makes you more mindful to put into practice the things that we are learning. Thanks again for sharing.